I can’t tell you how many times I’ve googled, “Can my dog eat X?” after I found out that my Jack Russell terriers have torn through a paper bag of food that was left unattended.
I’m sure I’m not the only one. The panic is totally legitimate because certain human foods are toxic to dogs.
So, here is the complete list of foods that your dog best avoid.
Be sure to bookmark this article to refer to it often!
Cheatsheet: Can my dog eat X?
|Toxic, even in small quantities||Chocolate, alcohol, apple seeds, cherry pits, xylitol, caffeine, grapes and raisins, hops, human vitamins, onions, persimmon, peaches and plum pits, contaminated raw meat, rhubarb and tomato leaves, citrus fruits, macadamia nuts, marijuana|
|Avoid large quantities||Avocado, cat food, fat trimmings, liver, garlic, potato leaves and stems, salt, sugar, peppers, yeast, coconut products, chamomile|
|Choking hazard||Avocado seed, cooked bones, corn cob, seeds and pits in general|
Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which can quicken the heart rate and stimulate the nervous system. Consuming too much theobromine and caffeine results in vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, increased urination, tremors, elevated heart rate, seizures and death in dogs.
On that note, caffeine is also extremely toxic to dogs. Within less than two hours, your dog may experience mild to severe hyperactivity, restlessness, vomiting, elevated heart rate and blood pressure, seizures, tremors and even death. Yup, absolutely no coke, coffee, tea, or anything with caffeine for your furkid.
Alcohol is a toxic substance, even for humans. So it’s rather common sense that it shouldn’t be given to dogs. It will cause lack of coordination, weak breathing and abnormal acidity. Potentially, alcohol intoxication causes coma or death in dogs.
That’s why it was super shocking to see Jessica on Love is Blind offer red wine to her Goldie. Gurl, please don’t?!
4. Apple seeds
While dogs can have apple flesh, apple seeds contain a natural chemical called amygdlin. It releases cyanide when digested, which could be toxic in large quantities.
Xylitol is found in zero-sugar candy, chewing gum, toothpaste, peanut butter and mouthwash. Small amounts of it could lead to vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures and liver failure.
7. Grapes and raisins
Grapes and raisins have the potential to make a dog ill. It could start with vomiting, followed by depressing and low energy. It could also cause kidney failure in dogs and there have been cases where dogs pass away due to a small handful of grapes. Be careful!
Hops are the flowers of the hop plant, most commonly used as an ingredient in beer. It’s quite unlikely for common Singaporean household to have hops unless you’re a home brewer, but we’re gonna keep it in this list because consumption of a small amount of hops can cause vomiting, panting, increased heart rate, fever and even death.
9. Human vitamins
Human vitamins contain 100% of the recommended daily amount of various minerals for humans. This means that having supplements can cause a mineral overdose for your dogs. The most dangerous of all are prenatal vitamins, since they have a high dose of iron and can cause iron toxicity.
10. Contaminated raw meat and fish
The raw food diet is increasing in popularity for dogs today and you might be feeding your furkid raw food. Make sure that the source is reliable and the food is uncontaminated and safe for consumption.
Raw meat that is contaminated with bacteria can cause food poisoning and some fish can contain a parasite that causes “fish disease” or “salmon poisoning disease (SPD)”. They cause vomiting, fever and enlarged lymph nodes.
11. Uncooked eggs
Similarly, contaminated uncooked eggs can cause salmonella and e.coli exposure. They also have the potential to cause skin and coat problems.
12. Citrus fruits
Even small doses of citrus fruits like oranges can cause upset stomachs in dogs. Larger doses can cause increased stomach pain and potentially depression of the central nervous system.
13. Macadamia nuts
These gourmet nuts are sure delicious for humans but tiny amounts could be lethal to your dog. Your dog may show symptoms such as muscle shakes, vomiting, increased temperature and weak back legs.
14. Onions and chives
Onions and chives contain disulfides and sulfoxides (thiosulphates), which can cause anemia and damage red blood cells in dogs. Don’t give them any, even if they are ground in powder or cooked in a stew.
Garlic could be okay for dogs in small amounts and some have even reported that it’s useful for flea treatment. But when in large quantities, garlic is toxic for dogs because it kills dog’s red blood cell content and thus, causes anemia. You may spot symptoms such as weakness, vomiting and having difficulty breathing.
16. Peach and plum pits
Like apple seeds, peach and plum pits have cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs and people alike. Also, ingesting the pits and seeds can cause intestinal issues in dogs.
17. Rhubarb and tomato leaves
Rhubarb and tomato leaves contain oxalates. When eaten, your dog may exhibit drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, weakness, tremors and bloody urine.
18. Potato leaves and stems
Like potato leaves, eating them can cause your dog to vomit. Other symptoms include diarrhea, anorexia, disorientation, lethargy, and central nervous system depression.
Potato skin can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, tremors, seizures, and cardiac arrhythmias.
Avocados contain persin, which can cause diarrhea, vomiting and heart congestion. The most dangerous part of an avocado is the pit because it is a choking hazard and it is full of persin.
20. Fat trimmings
Cooked and uncooked fat trimmings can cause pancreatitis in dogs.
In small amounts, liver can be okay but avoid feeding too much to your dog. Liver contains quite a bit of vitamin A, which can adversely affect your pup’s muscles and bones.
22. Cat food
Cat food may look similar to dog food, but the protein and fat levels in cat food are too high for your dog. Too much of it is definitely not good.
Of course, it is illegal for even humans to consume marijuana in Singapore. But if dogs ingest marijuna, you may notice slow response times, dribbling urine, heart rate change, neurological stimulation, hyperactivity, coma and even death.
Too much sodium isn’t the healthiest for humans, and it’s even worse for dogs. It can lead to sodium ion poisoning, which manifests in vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, increased temperature, seizures and even death.
Sugar in human foods, even in the form of corn syrup, isn’t great for obvious reasons. Too much of it can lead to dental issues, obesity and even diabetes.
26. Spicy peppers
While some form of peppers are okay and even provides vitamins and beta-carotene, spicy peppers are a definite no-no.
27. Cooked bones
Raw bones are great for your dog’s body and teeth, but cooked bones can easily splinter. Don’t simply throw chicken bones to your dog as it can hurt its throat.
29. Corn on the cob
Corn itself is safe for dogs to consume, but giving an entire ear of corn to a determined dog could cause choking and intestinal blockage.
Don’t let dogs (or cats) chew on cigarette butts, nicotine gum, patches or e-cigarettes. Eating whole butts can cause nicotine poisoning.
Within one hour, you may find your dog experiencing tremors, constricted pupils, drooling, auditory and visual hallucinations, excitement, vomiting and diarrhea, twitching, racing heart rate and high blood pressure.
Yeast causes bread to rise and gas in your dog. Too much yeast could actually rupture their stomach and intestines. Yeast dough is particularly bad because when it ferments and rises, it makes alcohol, which can lead to alcohol poisoning.
Coconut products can cause an upset stomach and diarrhea if you give your dog a large amount of coconut oil, milk, water or flesh.
Chamomile is a flower that causes dermatitis, vomiting, diarrhea and anorexia in dogs. Ingesting chamomile can lead to bleeding tendencies.
Like apple seeds and peach pits, cherries’ pits, stems and leaves contain cyanide, which is poisonous and potentially lethal. Symptoms include dilated pupils, bright red mucous membranes, difficulty breathing, shock and death.
Cherry pits are also choking hazards, which can get stuck in a dog’s digestive tract and cause blockages.
35. Mustard seeds
These little seeds can cause vomiting and diarrhea for your pet.
Has your dog ingested anything bad before? Share your experience with us below!